We believe that a smooth, positive and exciting transition from Year 6 to Year 7 is crucial to the start of the students’ time at Catmose College.
- To reassure Year 6 pupils about the transfer to College and to prepare them for College life.
- To inform parents of their choices and to enable them to fully support their child through the transition process.
- To give primary school staff the opportunity to pass on key information about their Year 6 cohort.
- To enable the College to gather relevant information about each individual student.
The period for transition can be difficult for students and parents alike. If handled correctly, students can begin life at their new school confidently and in a position to develop socially, emotionally and academically. Parents can feel informed and confident that their child will move smoothly onto the next phase of their educational life.
Catmose College recognises four partners in the transition process and aims to support them as described below:
Prior to starting at Catmose College, we aim to make the transition for students as smooth as possible. This is done in a variety of ways:
- We have put together information and media to give you a flavour of life as a student at Catmose College. Our online prospectus is available to view by clicking here.
- A student booklet is provided to all students who gain a place at the College, providing key information about how things such as lockers and paying for lunch works.
- Transition Days allow for pupils to participate within lessons, meet key staff and ask any questions which they have before starting with us in August. It also allows them to become familiar with their new environment.
- Extended transition upon invitation is also provided for students who are identified as needing more support.
- Term 1 Transition Elective: During their first term all Year 7 students will spend Wednesday afternoons with their new form tutor and tutor group. Together they will complete tasks on: our Ethos, the Routines for Learning, the
- College layout, the House System and House Points, the Library, ICT and extra-curricular provision.
Prior to starting at Catmose College parents need a variety of information concerning processes, meetings, equipment and standards. This is achieved through:
- Due to current COVID restrictions we are unable to offer our usual on-site open evening. We have put together information and media to give you a flavour of life as a student at Catmose College. Our online prospectus is available to view by clicking here where you can also book an appointment to speak with a member of our Senior Leadership Team.
- The student handbook that is sent out to all parents and provides a variety of information required prior to transfer.
Primary partners are required to complete a transition document for each student. This document requests key information on a number of areas:
- Academic Attainment including any SEN information
- Aspects of social, emotional or medical concerns
- Any other information deemed to be of relevance to the transition process.
- Staff will visit or request information from the primary schools deemed to be of relevance to the transition process.
- Staff will use this information to select tutor groups that are mixed and balanced based on information gathered from primary colleagues through professional trust and partnership.
- Catmose College hold an Open Evening and Induction Day designed to reassure pupils and parents and enable them to begin the new phase of their education confidently.
KEY CONTACTS REGARDING TRANSITION
Senior Assistant Principal – Claire Sherlock – firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator – Andrea Sharpe – email@example.com