We believe that a smooth, positive and exciting transition from Year 6 to Year 7 is crucial to the start of the students’ time at Catmose College.
- To reassure Year 6 pupils about the transfer to College and to prepare them for College life.
- To inform parents of their choices and to enable them to fully support their child through the transition process.
- To give primary school staff the opportunity to pass on key information about their Year 6 cohort.
- To enable the College to gather relevant information about each individual student.
The period for transition can be difficult for students and parents alike. If handled correctly, students can begin life at their new school confidently and in a position to develop socially, emotionally and academically. Parents can feel informed and confident that their child will move smoothly onto the next phase of their educational life.
Catmose College recognises four partners in the transition process and aims to support them as described below:
Prior to starting at Catmose, students need reassurance about what the next phase in their education journey holds for them. This is done in a variety of ways:
- An open evening, aimed at Year 6 students, is held at the College during Term 1. Prospective students and their parents are invited to take a tour of the College, meet key members of staff and individual teams and attend a speech given by the Principal.
- A student booklet is provided to all students who gain a place at the College, providing key information at the point of transfer. This is sent out prior to the July transition day.
- A Transition Day, allowing for pupils to participate within lessons, meet key staff and ask any questions which they have before starting with us in August. It also allows them to become familiar with their new environment.
- Extended transition upon invitation is also provided for the most vulnerable students.
- Term 1 Transition Elective: During the first term all Year 7 students will spend Wednesday afternoons with their new form tutor and tutor group. Together they will complete tasks on: our Ethos, the Routines for Learning, the College layout, the House System and House Points, the Library, ICT and extra-curricular provision.
- Team Building at Rutland Water: During their first term at Catmose College all Year 7 students will undertake a day at Rutland Water completing team building exercises with their new form.
Prior to starting at Catmose College parents need a variety of information concerning processes, meetings, equipment and standards. This is achieved through:
- An Open evening each year where parents can visit and learn about the College.
- The student handbook is sent out to all parents and provides a variety of information required prior to transfer.
- The induction evening in July. On this evening there will be opportunities to meet key staff within the college, be made aware of College expectations and meet tutors who will be a key part of the student’s life through their time at the College.
Primary partners are required to complete a transition document for each student. This document requests key information on a number of areas:
- Academic Attainment including any SEN information
- Aspects of social, emotional or medical concerns
- Any other information deemed to be of relevance to the transition process.
- Staff will visit or request information from the primary schools deemed to be of relevance to the transition process.
- Will use this information to select tutor groups that are mixed and balanced based on information gathered from primary colleagues through professional trust and partnership.
- Hold an Open Evening and Induction Day designed to reassure pupils and parents and enable them to begin the new phase of their education confidently.
KEY CONTACTS REGARDING TRANSITION
Senior Assistant Principal – Claire Sherlock – firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator – Andrea Hook – email@example.com